If you are a victim or witness of rape, sexual assault or other sex offence, the Self Evident app can help you record and report what happened.
Self Evident is a free, convenient and effective way for people across England & Wales to engage with the police. With 28,000 registered users already, the app is used every day to report crime and capture digital evidence.
Self Evident makes it easy for you to
- safely store photo and video evidence of the crime,
- record a reliable statement,
- validate the evidence you have captured.
- file a crime report with the police from your smartphone
Watch the Met Police tutorial video below to see how easy the app is to use.
If you’re unsure about reporting the incident to the police yet, you can use the Self Evident app to record and save a reliable statement and secure your evidence. But whatever you do, please talk to someone – a friend, relative, a GP or counsellor – as soon as possible. If you want confidential expert advice, please contact Rape Crisis.
What users say
“You can show when and where you were and attach photos”
“Its really helpful you can describe the event and capture the emotion of what happened”
“It gives you confidence. It’s almost like having a witness with you”
Met Police report on Self Evident
In its comprehensive report on the App, the Met Police found that…
“Since launch Self Evident has succeeded in
- Becoming the leading, most practical crime reporting app on Android & Apple
- Crucially assisting the public & Police to capture & exhibit evidence with ease
- Saving Police time & reducing the barrier to reporting by creating a solution to the digital incapability of Police services
- Allowing for better triaging of reports entering Police systems
- Being recognised by the CPS as a secure & legitimate evidence provider
- Providing Police officers evidence required to arrest & charge suspects
- Securing convictions at court, based on evidence gathered on Self Evident”
Following his manifesto pledge in 2012 to “develop a crime-reporting app for smartphones, allowing the public to immediately report crimes using their smartphone, including pictures and footage, and making it faster and easier to report crimes,” London Mayor Boris Johnson praised Self Evident in 2016 because it helps “increase reporting even further, boosting confidence, reducing repeat offences and helping victims get the support they need.”
Download Self Evident for free for iPhone and Android.
The app is a simple and secure way for victims and witnesses report any non-emergency crime, whether it’s anti-social behaviour, burglary, child abuse, criminal damage, domestic violence, forgery, fraud, harassment, hate crime, mugging, police misconduct, robbery, sex crime, stalking, street violence, terrorism or theft.
Witness Confident and Just Evidence
The App and the Service are provided by Just Evidence, a social enterprise. You can find out about how the service operates, how the validation works, how your privacy and security are protected and other free reports by visiting JustEvidence.org. Witness Confident promotes the crime reporting functions and benefits of the app.